Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 September

On the bus into town (this photo s for Colin)
Presents from students for
Teacher's Day
It was Teacher’s Day in China on Monday, and I received some thoughtful presents from students. 

This either means that I’ve been accepted by them and have established a rapport, or that they think that I can be bribed.

In either case it was very nice of them and I really appreciated it. Apparently not all teachers got presents.


The massive RT Mart
Life is settling into a bit of a routine now and so I’m starting to explore a little on my own. Yesterday I caught a bus to the southern part of town, to go to what is supposed to be the biggest supermarket here, R.T Mart (Da Run Fa). And it was massive store, making Walmart look like a suburban IGA store. Again it is like a Coles+Kmart or Wollies+Target type of store, selling anything portable.

There was a larger selection of food than at Walmart, including a few cereals. I bought a Nestle version of corn flakes, so this morning I had corn flakes, milk and tinned peaches for breakfast – a taste of home.

Chicken kebabs 'with bone'
Pho Mai - Cheese taste
purple sweet potato
There are some pretty interesting food products here, and with some, it’s almost impossible to decipher what they are. Thankfully everything is grouped, as at home, so it’s possible to guess at least what type of product it is.

It was nice to see chicken kebabs ‘with bone’ in the frozen food section. Who’d be interested in chicken without the bone?

It's a struggle to buy a decent sized towel here, most seem to be only a little larger than a tea towel, but I did find some large ones at RT Mart that also seem fairly absorbent and bought one.

Most towels seem to be made of a synthetic material that looks good, but all it does is move the water around your body, rather than dry it off.

Not really designed for people with hairy arms and legs. Anyway I spent far too much money buying interesting things that I can’t wait to try.

Darkie Toothpaste changed
to Darlie in 1985
Darlie toothpaste
It’s also possible to buy ‘Darlie’ toothpaste – is that a misspelling? 

I've since found out that the name was changed from Darkie to Darlie in 1885.

About Me

My photo
This blog has been set up to share information with relatives, friends and colleagues.