Search This Blog

Sunday 02 September

Student accommodation
Student accommodation
A quiet day today today. Although I’d planned to go to the town centre, I spent the day preparing for the classes tomorrow. Two double periods of 3rd year students.

The photo at left shows the teachers’ accommodation building and some of the surrounding buildings.

The government is planning to further develop this side of the river, and will be moving some government offices here to promote development. Sound familiar?

Staff accommodation
My accommodation is on the 3rd level (2nd floor) just behind the large tree with the supports. The photo on the right shows part of  the student accommodation building – as you can see, the students have begun arriving.

Aussie apron, kitchen mit
and pot holder
This will be the test of all the study and preparation so far, to see if I can deliver quality teaching in a foreign country. I am prepared of course with lesson plan, activities and presentations. I was asked to include Australian content in the first classes, to both engage the students and provide something of my background.

Well, I have my Australian apron (note the front pouch), mit and pot holder ready to go, along with some other pretty "tasteful" souvenirs that should spice up the class. After all cooking and teaching aren’t so different – start with a good recipe, make some adjustments for local conditions, prepare the ingredients and get going. Just hope the students like the flavour!

PS: Another excellent meal from the cafeteria tonight, stir fried beef and veges, stir fried chili Chinese cabbage and rice. (I thought I’d leave the pigs knuckes and soy bean stew for another occasion). If only they served this variety in Sydney restaurants – or we could find them!



About Me

My photo
This blog has been set up to share information with relatives, friends and colleagues.