Search This Blog

Thursday 06 September

Multimedia control panel
Typical classroom with blackboard
Zaoshang hao (Good morning) – slowly learning a few words. Pretty big day today with 3 double-periods.

I was exhausted by the end of the day. It doesn’t feel that different from performing in a theatre.

Prepare a script, get the props, learn the lines and deliver a morning show and 2 matinees. Probably small bikkies for you teachers out there, but I’m not finding it particularly a pushover.

I’m slowly getting used to the way things operate. When the media rooms work, it’s great, with the control panel (in Chinese) accessed by the college smart card. When they don’t, it’s a BIG challenge. I always carry a marked-up copy of the photo of the panel with me to class to work out the buttons.

The workmen seem to work on the 80% rule. That is if it’s 80% done it’s OK. This applies particularly to the painters who appear to work without drop-sheets – like those daredevil tightrope walkers who perform without nets.
Ben (Wang Peihui) at the feet
of the great teacher Conficius

Part of the painter's archaeological record
Everything is covered in paint splatters, and if the surface isn’t in a walkway, old paint scrapings and used paint rollers are left as an archaeological record.

Ben (Wang Peihui), and English teacher who has been the liaison person for my engagement, took me on a short tour of the adjacent University campus.


New unused university library building
The tour included the impressive new Library building. Not currently accessible because some of the large granite panels on the exterior have fallen off.

Ben has been fantastic with helping me adjust and integrate into the college and has attended almost all of my classes this week to lend moral and technical support.

I don’t envy his responsibility arranging all of the administrative requirements to employ foreigners – although it’s probably no easier in Australia!

About Me

My photo
This blog has been set up to share information with relatives, friends and colleagues.