Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 December

Christmas Day and business as usual in China. Fortunately I only had one class today as I’m down with a heavy cold.

Natalia and Richard playing up a storm
I found out during the day that Natalia, a Ukrainian piano teacher who teaches at a local music store had organised a Christmas eve concert last night. As I understood it, she and Richard, (English teacher at the adjacent university who plays saxaphone), were going to give a small concert. Well, it wasn’t quite like that.

Duet of piano and erhu
Not only did Natalia perform, but so did many of her small students – surprisingly well. This meant that there was a packed audience of parents, friends, and a whole class of Richard’s students. 

This was quite fortunate as the windows and doors were open and it was frrreeeezzzing! Natalia also played a duet with a Chinese musician who played an "erhu".  The erhu is a two-stringed bowed musical instrument which is often referred to as the ‘Chinese violin’.

The English speaking (and singing)
contingent
Natalia and Richard were great, playing mainly jazz, and it was the first live music I’d heard since arriving. I didn’t realise how much you can miss something like that.

All of the English speakers (a very small group) were co-opted into singing Silent Night – I didn’t know that there were three verses. It went down pretty well though, given the quality of the voices – possibly more because of the novelty value than vocal quality.

About Me

My photo
This blog has been set up to share information with relatives, friends and colleagues.